Entree Play: OH CURRY! Red Lentils. Black Beans. Tomatoes. Arugula. YUM!
Why, Hello, There! Here’s what happens to me (a hungry meat-eater) when no meat is thawed. I fling open the fridge, throw every vegetable imaginable on the counter, thank my lucky stars and stripes for red lentils and kiss the fragrant curry powder bottle for bringing the flavors together. This recipe is warm, hearty, fresh and perfumes the kitchen with garlic and curry powder. Enjoy!
1 Cup Red lentils
1 Cups Black beans
1 Bunch Arugula, fine chop
1/2 Cup Red Pepper, small dice
1 Cup Grape tomatoes, halve
3 Garlic Cloves, mince
1/4 Red Onion, small dice
Kosher Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp Curry Powder
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1. In a small pot, add 4 cups of water. Place on high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and bring the water to a simmer.
2. Chop vegetables.
3. Rinse and strain the lentils and add to simmering water. Reduce heat to medium low and slightly cover with a lid. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes, until cooked through but the texture still has a bite.
4. In a medium pan, on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Once the olive oil is warm, add the diced red peppers, red onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until just cooked through and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
5. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan and add the black beans to the red peppers and onions and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and season the vegetables with salt, and curry powder. Cook for about 2 minutes.
6. When the lentils are done, strain them. Add the lentils to the pan of vegetables along with the arugula and gently toss until the arugula is just wilted. Add a final dash of salt, pepper and curry powder, to taste.