Eater’s Guide to Chicken &Waffle Appetizers
Good Day, Pancakes. Meet your new best friend, Gourmet Bite-Sized Chicken and Waffles. Get to know this amuse bouche with a fun Eater’s Guide and finger-lickin’ recipe…
1. Pancake 2. Panko-Crusted Chicken 3. Lemongrass and Lavender Marinated-Apples 4. Maple Syrup
Gourmet Chicken and Waffle (GC&W) Eater’s Guide
A. Poularity (GC&W Recipe in 3): In 1976, Herb Hudson, opened Roscoe’s House of Chicken N’ Waffles in Hollywood. Hudson is known for making chicken and waffles popular because he knew celebrities in Motown and television. Redd Foxx and Natalie Cole would frequent his soul food restaurant, which got the attention of the press. And voila, chicken and waffles became famous. Larry King and Snoop Dogg even had a date there, watch the sparks fly…
B. Variations (GC&W Recipe in 2): Chicken and waffles, typically, come with waffles, butter, syrup and fried chicken. A variation of this dish is a Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken and Waffle, it’s a plain waffle with pulled chicken and gravy on top. For me, gravy doesn’t sound as tasty but I’ll let you be the judge.
C. Chicken and Waffle Restaurant Listings (GC&W Recipe in 1): Roscoe’s House of Chicken N’ Waffles (Los Angeles), Chicago’s Home of Chicken and Waffles, Gladys Knight and Ron Winans’ Chicken and Waffles (Harlem, D.C., Atlanta), Amy Ruth’s (Harlem), Lucky J’s Chicken and Waffles (Austin, Texas), and Stevie’s Chicken and Waffles (Portland, Oregon). If this list is missing a Chicken and Waffle Restaurant, be a pal and add it to comments!
Now that you’ve savored these comfort food facts, you can truly enjoy the addictive Chicken and Waffle Appetizer Recipe and share it with friends! Get the Recipe…
Chicken & Waffles (Pancakes) Ingredients
serves 8 – 12
2 Chicken breasts, pounded thin and cut into squares
2 Cups Flour
6 Eggs, well beaten
2 Cups Panko
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
Apple, Lemongrass and Lavender Syrup Ingredients
1 Stalk lemongrass, chopped
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 Springs Lavender
2 Cups Water
2 Cups Sugar
Apple, Lemongrass and Lavender Syrup Directions
1. In a medium saucepot add sugar and water, heat to medium heat. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves.
2. Reduce heat to low and add apples, lavender and lemongrass. Stir until fragrant, and apples are soft.
2. Place the flour, eggs and panko in 3 separate dishes. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large pan to medium-high heat, add canola oil to liberally coat the pan.
3. Cover the chicken in flour, dust off any excess flour. Coat the chicken in eggs, then cover the chicken in panko. Add chicken, in an even layer, to the hot pan. Cook the chicken until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes a side. Remove chicken to a paper towel-lined plate, and sprinkle sea salt on top.
4. In another large pan, heat canola oil to medium heat (add enough canola oil to lightly coat the pan). Place dollops of pancake batter to the pan, in 1 tsp amounts. Flip pancakes and press to slightly flatten. Cook as directions dictate.
5. Place pancakes on a platter, top with chicken, add diced apples and drizzle with the lemongrass and apple syrup on top.
Bacon & Maple Syrup Alternative: Place pancakes on a platter, top with chicken, drizzle maple syrup on top and add crushed bacon.